Thursday, April 12, 2018

The World Turned Upside Down......again

Over spring break Ally and I went to see Hamilton. It was AMAZING! Now I can't stop listening to the soundtrack and singing every song in my head. The one in my head tonight is "Yorktown." (The World Turned Upside Down) And my world has turned upside down today. Because here I go again with a big battle. But in this scenario, I must be Hercules Mulligan because when you knock me down, I get the f**k back up again!

I went to meet my team today to hear what the next steps would be. First let me say, the PET scan did show that the new cancer has not spread. Good news! Really it is. 6 years ago I was told that my PET scan lit up like a Christmas tree. My cancer had spread through my whole body. So to hear this cancer was in one spot felt like a real win. My original cancer was stage 4. This cancer is stage 2. 

Preliminary talks with my oncologist led me to believe that we were going to talk today about possible surgery..a lumpectomy. However, I got way more information than I was prepared for. Nick and I were at OHSU for 6 hours! 6! We met with a surgeon (Dr. Pomier). Same surgeon as first time around. It was like a little reunion. I don't recommend these reunions. We met with radiologist, nurses and my oncologist. Lots of meetings and lots of information..new information
My new cancer appears to be a clone of my original cancer.  It is growing in the same breast.  However some of the markings are different. They are both breast cancer. Both cancers are Her2 positive. (HER2-positive breast cancer is a breast cancer that tests positive for a protein called human epidermal growth factor receptor 2 (HER2), which promotes the growth of cancer cells.) Anyway, the difference is my first cancer was estrogen receptor positive.  This one is negative for estrogen. Which in a strange way is good because it means that my endocrine or hormone therapy treatment is working and blocking the estrogen cells that fed my previous cancer. That one isn't growing. 

But now for today's surprise.  This new cancer needs to be targeted differently.  So, essentially,  I need to fight 2 cancers at the same time.  

Here is where my world turned upside down. I am in for some hard therapy.  On April 26th I will begin 6 rounds of an intense chemotherapy. Still one day every 3 weeks. But will have 4 drugs delivered. Not the one...or 2 if you count my pills. That will be until August. Then surgery. Then radiation. 

It will be tough. Things will change.  I will change. This is going to be a very different experience than the last 6 years. 

I am still figuring out particulars. That will come and I dont need to figure it out right away. I plan on working some, but taking off the hardest days. It is going to be quite the summer. I will keep you updated. 

Thank you my tribe. Thank you for your love, prayers and support. It means more than you will ever know.

Madonna 

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=%23&ved=0ahUKEwjU1bjIrrbaAhWLqlQKHV3_CZsQwqsBCDMwAg&usg=AOvVaw0VTJzWxrN8ZFOD4xbU2nov    (Caution some foul language)

2 comments:

  1. Prayers for a restful sleep tonight as tough as that may seem. My hope is for your family to feel God's love and hands to be a feeling of calm and healing in the next few weeks to come. Your name has been prayed for much this week. I am amazed at your words of strength. My hope is for you to walk through all of this as a true warrior! God bless you - Nick and the kids ♡

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am praying for you Madonna!!! You are going to beat this again! Prayers for strength, peace, and calm for you and your family! Prayers for great wisdom for your doctors that your treatment will be precise and attack this cancer in it’s entirety! Sending love and prayers— Kelly

    ReplyDelete